Thursday 26 May 2016

Brownie Batter Dip



I don't know about you, but when summer time rolls around I kinda go off proper meals during the day, and just want picky things! I don't know why, but it is what it is. I love just munching on watermelon or veggies with hummus, but my latest favorite snacky lunch is this high protein Brownie Batter Dip with lots of fruit to scoop it up with! This is a great recipe for using up all those pesky chickpeas leftover from making macarons!

Real talk for a second. There are a load of healthy, sugar free, low calorie sweet chickpea dip recipes floating around the blogosphere and I'm afraid this isn't one of them. I've tried those recipes and I'm sorry (not sorry) to say that I need the sugar. If you want something to taste like brownie batter, sugar is a pretty crucial component. By all means, switch the sugar in this recipe out for a replacement if you wish, but it probably won't taste as good as the full-sugar version! 


Brownie Batter Dip
Makes 1 1/2C 

1 400g can of chickpeas
1/2C full fat coconut milk
1Tbsp coconut oil
1/3C cocoa powder
1/4C light brown soft sugar
3Tbsp caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp maple syrup or agave
1/4tsp salt

1/4C mini dark chocolate chips (optional)

Drain the chickpeas (save the aquafaba for making macarons or meringues!) and remove the skins. This takes abut ten minutes, but it really makes a difference to the texture of the dip. 

Put the chickpeas along with all the other ingredients apart from the chocolate chips into the bowl of your food processor and blend until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and blend again, making sure everything is well mixed. Pour into a bowl and place in the fridge to set for 30mins to an hour. 

Once thickened spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top. Serve with your favorite sliced fruits, pretzels, crackers or cookies!

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.



3 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks uh-mazing and you're so right, brownie anything needs sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of this, it seems like chocolatey hummus to me! I don't know if I'd be able to resist eating it with a spoon like chocolate pudding though, rather than dipping healthy fruits in it! Thanks for sharing your recipe :D

    ReplyDelete